I was sitting in our living room this morning, eating breakfast with Blake and had the thought, ah this feels like HOME. It just feels right, like I’m in the right place, like we did the right thing and well, you know – IT’S HOME. Our last house was beautiful and I loved it, but it never quite felt like “home”, so this is something I have longed for. Not to mention, the rentals before that sure as heck didn’t – there’s a lot more to buying vs. renting, but obviously in due time because it’s not something that can happen right away. Anyways, today I wanted to share some things we’ve learned from buying a house and my best tips and tricks, plus some fun new things I’ve learned from Homes.com that y’all need to take advantage of! So let’s do this thing.
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Figure out what you can afford before you start looking. Seriously this is something we made the mistake of doing when we bought out first home. I started just browsing homes and falling in love only to realize, oh…that’s mega out of our price range. If you’re not sure where to start, Homes.com actually has a tool that can help you assess how much you can afford by connecting you with a real estate agent near you! So take advantage of that! Once you have that nailed down, then you have to make the tough decision of “fixer upper” or “move in ready” and both have their pros and cons, so you have to do what’s best for you!
- Make a list – seriously write out EVERYTHING. We did this and it made the process a heck of a lot smoother. Section your list by “must haves”, “wants” and “definitely nots”, then begin your hunt! However, it’s very important to have an open mind, because you have to realize unless you’re building a custom home, then you most likely won’t get everything on that dream list, but it’s a good guideline to have to ensure you’re not settling and that you are also being realistic! Homes.com has a match feature that is awesome for just this as well!
- Think about the future – This is a super important one! Don’t buy for the life you’re living now, think about the future, what you want to be doing in 5, 10 years – plan it out so that you can make a smart investment into your future and have this place feel like home for as long as possible!
- Do your research into what you want! This goes hand in hand with making a list, but a little different. Understand and know the style you like. You can change paint and small things, but you can’t change structural details. So ensure you know your style and what you love about a house. Make a Pinterest board and ONLY pin things you love, we did this and it was super beneficial, and if you have a partner, get them in on it! Marcus was all about it. Another fun thing (that I wish I had known about) is that Homes.com has a “Snap & Search” feature, which is incredible and you SHOULD take advantage of it! You can literally input pictures you love (like the ones from your Pinterest board) and it pulls homes in your buying area that have that same architectural style! How freaking cool is that?!
- ENJOY THE PROCESS! My final “must know” thing is honestly to just enjoy it. It can be a super stressful time and well, it should be in moments, but it doesn’t have to be the entire time. It should be fun, so enjoy it as much as possible! It’s fun to explore homes around your area and make the big move from renting to owning your own home – so enjoy the process as much as possible and learn and grow with and from it!
What are things you wish you had known when buying a home?! Or what are you best pieces of advice?!