When we bought our home, the thing I was honestly most excited about was putting our backyard together. It’s still not quite to where I want it to be, but it’s come a long way from the pile of dirt that it used to be. We have grass, we have a fun fire pit area, there’s play area for Blake and we are almost done with the river area. When we first moved in we had a mega problem with mosquitos and the reason why is because well…one it’s mosquito season, but two, we actually live on what used to be a riverbed and by a lot of water. So obviously, they’re extra attracted to our house. So we recently had TruGreen come and do their Mosquito Defense System application (which I highly recommend). TruGreen’s Mosquito Defense targets pests where they live and their professionally trained specialist uses an innovative mosquito control formula to treat all the places in your yard that they hide! We’ve seen a huge difference since the first application. Plus, outdoors is where we like to spend our summers and with a green, lawn. So it’s nice that TruGreen believes you should live life outside and is committed to providing a beautiful lawn to serve as the foundation for outside experiences and lifelong memories. It’s basically a win, win.
This summer we have big plans for our backyard. I’m talking all the BBQs, swimming pool parties, fire pit s’more makin’ family and friends time. We had friends over the other day for our first little “summer BBQ” and it was a blast. The kids played in the pool, us adults BBQed, ate all the guac and chips and made it so much fun. So let the backyard memories begin and I’m going to share a few ways we turn all our backyard fun into lasting memories!
- Pictures. Obviously you know — I love myself all the pictures, but sometimes when we are with friends and family we forget. SO keep your camera nearby or your phone in your pocket so that you can grab all the cute, spur of the moment pictures like the one above of these two little besties snackin’ on their yogurt bites together.
- Make it a point to actually get out there. Last year, we had our backyard put together but we like never ever went out there. So this year, we made it a point to create some shady spots and keep it totally inviting with some fun toys for Blake and areas for us to hang out and relax.
- Hammock it up. I tell everyone they need a hammock and the reason why is because we honestly have the best memories on that dang hammock. Blake loves swinging on it and sometimes late after Blake has gone to bed Marcus and I will lay on it together and just talk and honestly, those special little moments always create the best memories.
- Write while they play. Usually once or twice a week I will sunscreen Blake up and let her play outback while I just sit on the patio and write. I write about whatever she’s doing, what’s on my mind that day, you know all the life things. Plus, you’re literally putting memories in a book, writing them down and all while outside enjoying the sunshine.
- Patio Furniture. Invest in some good patio furniture or a small seating area. If that’s not an option, keep a good outdoor blanket nearby and create your own seating area on the grass. This way you’re more willing to go outside because you have a place to sit and relax after a long day.
How do you create memories in your backyard?! What’s your backyard must have?!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.