One of the most commonly asked questions I get is, if I have any tips or tricks to blogging? Well, that could be a full week of conversation because a TON goes into it. BUT, I figured I would share my top five for y’all! Now, let me preface these with a couple of things; successful blogging doesn’t happen over night and it takes a LOT of hard work.
Now, let’s chat.
- BE YOURSELF. I know, I know this is honestly the most cliche thing you could ever hear, but I mean it. I think you honestly have to go into it with the right mindset, coming from the person who didn’t at first. You have to go in being 100% yourself and blogging about things that you’re passionate about, things that aren’t forced. Don’t just blog about fashion because you think that’s what’s going to be successful or don’t just blog about Motherhood because you’re a Mom. Blog about what you’re passionate about, what is a good fit. If that is lifestyle, meaning day to day things, then make that happen. If you love beauty, then focus your blog around beauty. Be authentic, real and don’t down play yourself. Believe in yourself and give it your all. Things go a lot smoother when you’re not forcing it. 😉
- SOCIAL MEDIA IS KEY. You’ve heard it before, but social media is a key component behind making your blog a success. It’s what will drive traffic to your site and ultimately help you be seen! Make sure to give an even balance of what’s happening on your blog and day to day things focused around your blog. People love to see real life, they want to see what’s happening behind the scenes and what better place to show that than social media? This goes back to being yourself again, same rule for social media. For example, you’ll most likely find me insta-storying in a top knot, sweat pants and no make up — real life. It’s just not worth it to force it and well, that’s what my brand is focused around — real life, motherhood, lifestyle and everything in between. If you run a style blog, share fun style tips and tricks behind the scenes, how you get ready for the day, what colors look best with another, etc.
- INFLUENCER AGENCIES. Once you’ve built your brand, have page views rolling in and a social media following you can start diving into what are called “influencer agencies” — essentially it’s an agency that connects you with brands who want to work with you to promote their products! One influencer agency I love is, Collectively, you can check them out, here. My advice for influencer agencies is — only work with brands you truly believe in, brands that fit your brand and are up your readers alley, otherwise you start to get back into the “not being yourself” which essentially creates forced content and well, that’s not fun for you to write or anyone to read.
- PICTURES ARE IMPORTANT. In my opinion good pictures make a blog. When a reader can see pictures that clearly show a product, a tutorial, home decor or whatever you’re posting about — they’re more eager to continue reading and try it for yourself. Think about Pinterest, what pictures are you attracted to the most?! Exactly, the pretty, perfectly staged ones. So while it might not be totally real life, it’s what attracts the viewers, so while staying within your niche, pretty pictures can definitely help a blog post do exactly what you want it to do, be read. 😉
- GIVE IT YOUR ALL & BE READY TO WORK. A lot of people (well, from what I’ve seen, I shouldn’t say everyone) don’t realize how much work goes into blogging. You can read about that, here. Be ready to work! I spend a huge chunk of my day researching, outreaching, emailing, taking pictures, engaging on social media and everything in between. Then when I’m not doing that I am writing posts, scheduling, planning, prepping for shoots, planning events and everything in between. So it’s a (more than) full time job if you want to get serious about it. Finally, a quick last tip — don’t beat yourself up, don’t get discouraged and definitely DON’T compare yourself to anyone. You are your own person, it doesn’t matter how someone else is doing compared to you, focus on your own growth and successes, do your best and be happy for those around you.
Long story short, make it fun, put your full effort into it and believe in yourself.
Check out Collectively’s new site, here.