I’m not sure why but one of the questions I get asked the most is about make up and to do a make up tutorial. If you saw my insta-story make up tutorial, you clearly know that’s a hot mess. Ha! So I’ll try and answer the question seriously here, TRY. Notice that key word, because let’s be real I’ll probably make fun of myself the entire time and give you inaccurate tips on how to actually put make up on.
I love to switch things up often, try new product and keep my skin feeling fresh. I don’t have pretty skin. In fact, I have the opposite. Tired eyes (Hello, Mom life), dry skin around my nose, but oily everywhere else and you know–zits. So when it comes to foundation, I want full coverage, like FULL FULL coverage. But I also my something healthy and good for my skin and my little Blake. Exhibit A:
Clearly she wants to be just like Mommy 😉 That or ruin my entire bottle of brand new foundation. I’m thinking it’s probably the latter. So I use a lot of Arbonne product. You can see their full collection and learn more, here.
Okay have you had enough at looking at the cutest pictures ever of my kid? 😉 Now, for the tutorial. Only this time you’re going to have to imagine me dancing and videoing myself 😉
- Lotion, seriously I always lotion up my face before make up.
- Cover those zits with concealer.I use a beauty blender for almost my entire face because it helps provide better coverage. You can thank my sister for that addiction 😉 BEAUTY BLENDERS UNITE!
- Foundation. Literally, cover your whole face. Are y’all taking my seriously yet? Haha! I’m serious though, that’s what I do. So if you want the Jess special you better follow instructions.
- Oh hi, more concealer please. If you’re a Mom or just don’t sleep (I’m not sure why you would choose to do that though), you know what I’m talking about. You literally need about 2 inches think of concealer to cover up the giant black bags under your eyes from your one year old keeping you up all night. It’s a good thing they’re cute and those snuggles of theirs make up for it because I’m a mess.
- Powder. Powder. Powder. Just in case you didn’t have enough stuff covering your face, add some more. I’m kidding! Y’all, don’t make yourself look like a cake face. Come on! I put light layers on, I’m only kidding with the over the top-ness. Kind of….;) Seriously though, I use the powder to just set the foundation and add more of a clean crisp look. So just brush on a light layer.
- Bronze & blush. I bronze up my cheeks/forehead and then brush on a light layer of blush on my cheekbones to really give my face some UMPH! Is that a word? Did I even spell it right? Who the h knows. You know what I’m talking about.
- Put my brows on. This is an important one or I can promise you I look like a scary person.
- Mascara. Only sometimes do I actually put eyeshadow on, most days I don’t. I brush a few layers of mascara on and call it good.
- LIPS. LIPS! This is my favorite part. This is the part where I actually made it look like I semi got ready for the day, besides the fact that I haven’t washed my hair in six days. I use lip liner and a good lip color! I’m all about stains or matte lipsticks. Stains are heat because they stay on and I don’t turn my child’s entire forehead red when I’m smothering her in kisses. So really, I mean that’s a win.
That’s my routine. OH AND I DANCE. A lot. And I’m not kidding. I always turn some sort of fun song on because spending five minutes to rush and put my make up on is better with a friggin’ song. I recommend takin’ it back to the early 2000’s for some classic hip thrusting music.
Okay, for serious though, you can shop all the pretty make up and fabulous skin product HERE. Plus if you do their preferred client program (it’s a $20 fee) you get 20% off all year long. Personally I think that’s the smartest route to go.
OH and there’s more because well, I want to spoil you all. My girl Mollie over at Arbonne, said at checkout, when the prompt asks you if you would like to add your order to an event type in “Positively Oakes”. That way you join for the chance to win $250 of your choice of product!
And you can see my favorite brushes/sponges here (just click the picture to shop them),
More details on Arbonne for those wondering:
Transparency and honesty. They are the hallmarks of their product integrity. At Arbonne they are continuously improving and evaluating their ingredient policy so they can develop the most thoughtfully designed, innovative, safest products. And they’re always striving to do better. Each and every single day. They’ve been around since 1975 and are killin’ it in the skincare department.